If you love network engineering, taking care of customers, and operating a global network, this might be the role for you.
Welcome to Bigleaf – we keep businesses connected to the cloud. Check out more info on our homepage: http://www.bigleaf.net
Our service is growing quickly and we have big plans. We’re looking for a Global Network Engineer to join our team.
Bigleaf is a well-funded fast-growing startup, so your day-to-day tasks will vary quite a bit and morph over time, but here’s an overview:
• Network Engineering and Operations: Our customers expect outstanding network reliability and performance. In this role you’ll design and manage our global IP routing platform and other network systems. This will involve selecting and managing datacenters, upstream carriers, and peering exchanges in globally distributed locations, configuring routers and switches, scaling planning, refining BGP and OSPF traffic engineering, troubleshooting packet loss, improving internet peering, and other similar tasks.
• Sales Engineering: You’ll interact with our customers and partners as a technical expert on our services and technology. You’ll act as a consultant to them, identifying their needs and communicating how Bigleaf can be of value to them. This will usually be via phone, but will involve occasional travel for larger opportunities.
• Escalation Technical Support: We take pride in providing excellent service to our customers, eliminating the typical finger-pointing seen in IT, through skillful troubleshooting. In this role you’ll help customers (usually working with their IT consultants or other skilled people) to resolve escalated issues.
• Device and Service Management: We employ both traditional network equipment and custom Linux-based systems within our network. You’ll work with these platforms manually and through automation. We use Puppet, Ansible, and several other tools for automation, and you’ll have opportunities to improve upon these systems.
• Project Management: As part of our global network expansion, you’ll orchestrate vendor selection, procurement, installation, testing, and other aspects. Your skills in this area will also come into play when you help customers and partners plan sophisticated Bigleaf deployments.
• At least 5 year of experience in network engineering and operations, with at least 2 years of that operating a globally distributed public-facing network such as an internet carrier, CDN, or other service provider.
• Strong ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical people in written and spoken English
• A passion for serving customers in a humble and consultative manner
• Self-starter approach to identifying and accomplishing goals
• Natural ability to incrementally troubleshoot technical problems
• Mastery of Networking fundamentals
• Significant experience with dynamic routing protocols including BGP and/or OSPF, and experience troubleshooting the effects of various routing protocol issues
• Understanding of how specific network issues affect application performance (e.g. how does packet loss affect TCP throughput? Or what are the effects of jitter on VoIP?)
• At least a basic understanding of Linux fundamentals. Experience with the Linux networking subsystem a plus.
• Strong desire to learn and grow
• Ability to participate in an on-call rotation
• Ability to travel occasionally (a few times per year)
This is a very exciting period of growth for our team. We appreciate you taking the time to carefully read through this ad. Our vision is to bring peace into the lives of our customers through advanced technology and excellent service. If you would like to join us in this role please send along a resume and cover letter/email of how you meet the qualifications above and why you’re interested. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a stock options plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and feel it makes our teams stronger, so if you meet the qualifications for this role please feel free to apply.