moovel North America is looking for a hands-on Data Architect who is interested in delivering world-class products to transit agencies and users throughout the world. The successful candidate will help define the future data architecture and evolve our production transactional data systems using modern streaming and pipelining technologies. The data architect will also help evolve how we handle data across the company. The ideal candidate has a unique balance of technical expertise and leadership skills to help us solve our most difficult data challenges.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Data systems architecture: producing and reviewing architectural diagrams and documentation
- Working collaboratively in an agile cross-functional team
- Developing data systems and associated platform services in a team environment
- Designing approaches to gathering and managing data from disparate sources
- Designing methods for usage of that data to enable reporting, discovery, and product design
- Continually evolving existing infrastructure and code to follow best practices and to improve overall product quality
- Creating and sustaining strong partnerships with Development Managers, Product Owners and Product Managers
- Considering business priorities and appropriately optimizing your approach to problems
- Researching, understanding, and sharing information on new technologies as they emerge and mature
- Mentoring other engineers to increase knowledge and productivity
- Working with team and technical leads in architecture and technical solution design
- Improving the performance, availability and overall quality of our platform
- Assuring code and designs meet functional requirements and quality standards
- Estimating level of effort to support planning
- Leading the alignment of data engineering practices and technical initiatives across teams
- Collaborating with other leads to address challenges and propose new solutions to issues shared across teams
- Thinking ahead to manage technical and delivery risk, proactively escalating to management and proposing mitigation strategies
- Other duties as required by the company
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- BS (MS Preferred) in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject, or relevant combination of experience
- 7+ years of hands-on development experience
- 4+ years in a technical leadership position
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Practical development experience with multiple languages, frameworks and paradigms
- Proven success in enabling access to data from existing systems
- Significant experience with a variety RDBMS platforms, notably MySQL and Postgres
- Track record of successful design and implementation of AWS Data tools, like S3, RDS, Redshift, EMR, SQS, and Kinesis
- Working experience with document databases like MongoDB, CouchDB, Cassandra is advantageous
- Experience with systems to handle datasets ranging from gigabytes to terabytes.
- Experience with Big Data tech (e.g., Pig, Hive, Spark, Hbase, Presto, Sqoop, Hadoop, MapR, Impala).
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Familiarity with JIRA, Confluence or similar tools
- Proficiency in node.js or Python
- Understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Understanding of virtualization and containers using Docker and ECS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to influence, guide, and implement change
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment
- Willingness and capacity to learn new frameworks and languages quickly
- Positive attitude and a willingness to step into legacy code base
Special Information (Travel required, physical requirements, etc.):
- Additional hours as necessary to accomplish objectives, goals and projects
- Travel Required: 0-10% of the time
Who We Are:
At moovel, we see the world changing around us. Transportation is experiencing an incredibly rapid transformation with on-demand services and mobile technology changing the way we get around. But this change is good. It connects us with new options, experiences, and people that make our lives richer. moovel builds products that people use every day, whether on a daily commute or vacation in a new place. Join us as we develop solutions that shape cities and interactions within them.
moovel is seeking exceptional people. We expect that you’ll work hard, collaborate often, respect others, and have a good attitude even during the busiest of days. moovel N.A. offers competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability benefits at no cost to employees. We also offer a generous holiday schedule with four weeks of PTO annually. Our compensation program includes a 6% retirement contribution, an annual bonus program and competitive base salaries.
In addition to the more traditional benefits, we offer a transit allowance, gym allowance, in-office meals and snacks, ping-pong, and many other perks. You will also have the opportunity to work with a diverse team in our Portland office as well as our parent company based in Stuttgart, Germany.
Our office is centrally located in the heart of Old Town, bike friendly, and within walking distance to a multitude of restaurants, bars, and shops. The Portland Streetcar and TriMet offer easy-to-use transit services connecting the downtown Portland district to the Pearl District and greater Downtown Portland.
moovel provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, moovel complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.