moovel North America is looking for a Data Engineer interested in delivering world-class products to transit agencies and users throughout the world. The ideal candidate believes development is a team activity and enjoys it being that way. They thrive in a fast-paced environment and are willing to fill any role to help their team be successful.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Working collaboratively in an agile cross-functional team
- Contributing to the design and development of new products and services
- Supporting existing products and services that people are using everyday
- Applying development best practices to your work
- Crafting clean code supported by automated tests
- Leaving the code base in a better state than you found it
- Improving the performance, availability and overall quality of our platform
- Building web services
- Writing and optimizing database queries for relational databases
- Working with Product Owner and Product Manager to understand requirements
- Estimating level of effort to support planning
- Other duties as required by the company
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
- 5+ years of hands-on development experience
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and concepts
- Experience in micro-service or service-oriented architectures
- Experience and expertise with modern source control (git)
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with AWS lambda functions is an advantage
- Knowledge of AWS Data Stack using S3, RDS, Redshift, EMR, Data Pipeline, Kinesis or Kafka
- Experience with industry standard ETL tools like Apache NiFi, Streamsets, Apache Samza
- Working experience with document databases like MongoDB, CouchDB, Cassandra is advantageous
- Experience with systems to handle datasets ranging from gigabytes to terabytes.
- Experience with Big Data tech (e.g., Pig, Hive, Spark, Hbase, Presto, Sqoop, Hadoop, MapR, Impala).
- Be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with JIRA, Confluence or similar tools
- Familiarity with Jenkins or other CI tools
- Proficiency in node.js
- Understanding of virtualization and containers (Docker)
- Strong understanding of RESTful principles
- Practical experience with web development using multiple frameworks
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment
- Ability to be productive with multiple languages, frameworks and paradigms
- Willingness and capacity to learn new frameworks and languages quickly
- Positive attitude and a willingness to step into an existing code base
Special Information (Travel required, physical requirements, etc.):
- Additional hours as necessary to accomplish objectives, goals and projects
- Travel Required: 0-5% of the time
Who We Are:
At moovel, we see the world changing around us. Transportation is experiencing an incredibly rapid transformation with on-demand services and mobile technology changing the way we get around. But this change is good. It connects us with new options, experiences, and people that make our lives richer. moovel builds products that people use every day, whether on a daily commute or vacation in a new place. Join us as we develop solutions that shape cities and interactions within them.
moovel is seeking exceptional people. We expect that you’ll work hard, collaborate often, respect others, and have a good attitude even during the busiest of days. moovel N.A. offers competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability benefits at no cost to employees. We also offer a generous holiday schedule with four weeks of PTO annually. Our compensation program includes a 6% retirement contribution, an annual bonus program and competitive base salaries.
In addition to the more traditional benefits, we offer a transit allowance, gym allowance, in-office meals and snacks, ping-pong, and many other perks. You will also have the opportunity to work with a diverse team in our Portland office as well as our parent company based in Stuttgart, Germany.
Our office is centrally located in the heart of Old Town, bike friendly, and within walking distance to a multitude of restaurants, bars, and shops. The Portland Streetcar and TriMet offer easy-to-use transit services connecting the downtown Portland district to the Pearl District and greater Downtown Portland.
moovel provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, moovel complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.