Do you love serving customers by troubleshooting complex network issues? Do you know how to use TCPdump and Wireshark to troubleshoot TCP resets caused by a mis-configured firewall? Are you comfortable making BGP routing changes after using MTR to identify a specific carrier network path that is dropping packets? If you answered “yes” to those questions, then this might be the role for you. Welcome to Bigleaf – we keep businesses connected to the cloud. Check out more info on our homepage: https://www.bigleaf.net/how-it-works/ Our service is growing quickly and we have big plans. We’re looking for a Network Support Engineer to join our team. Bigleaf is a well-funded fast-growing startup, so your day-to-day tasks will vary quite a bit and morph over time, but here’s an overview:
- Network Troubleshooting: In this role you’ll dig into complex network issues to find root cause and drive them to a resolution. This will include extensive use of tools such as tcpdump, Wireshark, MTR, and iPerf. You’ll troubleshoot issues including ISP/carrier circuit problems, VoIP call drops, slow downloads, unexpected firewall behavior, and numerous other challenging situations.
- Technical Support: We believe it’s crucial to provide excellent service to our customers, eliminating the typical finger-pointing that happens in IT, through skillful troubleshooting. In this role you will help customers (usually working with their IT consultants or other skilled people) to investigate and resolve issues such as inconsistent application performance, odd network behavior, and other network problems. As a senior engineer on our support team, you’ll typically handle the most complex escalated issues that we run into.
- Sales Engineering: You’ll interact with our customers and partners as a technical expert on our services and technology. You’ll act as a consultant to them, identifying their needs and communicating how Bigleaf can be of value to them. This will usually be via phone, but will involve occasional travel for larger opportunities.
- Device and Service Management: We employ both traditional network equipment and custom Linux-based systems within our network. You’ll work with these platforms manually and through automation. We use Puppet, Ansible, and several other tools for automation, and you’ll have opportunities to grow your Linux skills.
- A passion for serving customers with outstanding support
- At least 5 years of experience in a network engineering role
- Strong ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical people in written and spoken English. A second language is a plus.
- Mastery of networking fundamentals
- Self-starter approach to identifying and accomplishing goals
- Natural ability to incrementally troubleshoot technical problems
- Strong understanding of how specific network issues affect application performance (e.g. how does packet loss affect TCP throughput? Or what are the effects of jitter on VoIP?)
- Experience with dynamic routing protocols including BGP in multi-homed environments
- Experience with Linux networking. Technologies we use include Debian and OpenWRT.
- Ability and willingness to participate in an on-call rotation and assist with occasional nighttime network maintenance tasks.
This is a very exciting period of growth for our team. We appreciate you taking the time to carefully read through this ad. Our vision is to bring peace into the lives of our customers through advanced technology and excellent service. If you would like to join us in this role please send along a resume and cover letter/email of how you meet the qualifications above and why you’re interested. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a stock options plan. We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and feel it makes our teams stronger, so if you meet the qualifications for this role please feel free to apply.