Energy Storage Systems (ESS) is a fast-growing, clean technology company, located in
Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an advanced flow battery technology for
commercial, industrial, and utility applications. With a team that boasts decades of
experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies, ESS has
developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines a
safe, abundant and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. This
combination of high performance with low cost means that ESS’s technology is ideally
suited for applications that range in size from retail energy management to utility-scale
ESS is looking for a motivated and versatile Manufacturing Engineer to join our team.
The Manufacturing Engineer will be engaged in a wide spectrum of activities including
process, work instruction, automation, and tooling development.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for sustainability and the environment, will thrive
in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting, be self-motivated and have an interest in
disruptive, cutting edge technology. The ideal candidate is someone who understands
the culture, the rigor and the challenges of a start-up environment.
• Provide technical product sustaining support from product release into
manufacturing through end of service
• Develop and maintain technical product and process documentation through
• Characterize and improve process and product performance per defined
• Provide technical support to the factory, to ensure that ESS is capable of
shipping quality products on-time to its customers
• Conduct detailed troubleshooting and analysis of issues that affect reliability,
performance, etc. This includes the use of statistical analysis, 7-Step Problem
Solving or other established methods
• Provide input or participate in new product introduction projects.
• Provide supply chain support including vendor qualification and quality issue
• Support Field Service/TSS with product escalations as necessary. May require
some on-site support at customers
• Perform hands-on assembly, testing and training of personnel as required during
project work (i.e., assembly, test or measurement, troubleshooting)
• Facilitates and may lead cross-functional improvement and other Operations
• Adhere to safety, environmental, Sarbanes-Oxley and other regulatory standards
• Other duties as assigned
• University degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Chemistry or a
combination of education and experience that demonstrates the required
skills. Preference for experience in large capital equipment manufacturing
techniques and energy strorage.
• Typically 5-10 years of technical experience in high-tech industry environment in
service, development or manufacturing
• Preference for candidates with CAD design experience using solid modeling
• Demonstrated experience with process improvements, equipment validation and
data analysis methods required
• Demonstrated experience improving processes using Statistical process control,
6 sigma methods, DOE and advanced analytical methods is required.
• Demonstrated ability to do hands-on troubleshooting, assembly and engineering
validation work required.
• Willingness to travel up to 10%
• Demonstrated experience participating in or managing concurrent technical
• Self-starter who is also highly productive when not supervised to meet the
• Demonstrated ability to plan and resolve issues that involve gaining cooperation
of cross-functional, multi-cultural groups and sites without damaging
• Must demonstrate ability to create technical documentation and engineering
• Must have ability to obtain a valid passport and travel regionally and
internationally as required
• Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
• U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency required.