Oregon, US / Washington, US / Colorado, US / Utah, US / Arizona, US
Lumen is a young, rapidly growing company looking for an integrations engineer who will focus on some of the integrations crucial to our products, such as integrations with Learning Management Systems and unifying our strategies for our cross-product data. We’d love you to bring skills and curiosity for various technologies and stacks that we can use to build our next generation of research-inspired learning technology.
Lumen is doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, data-inspired learning design, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. Ever buy a college textbook? We think that hundreds of dollars is too much for a college textbook. For many people, the cost is an impassable barrier. We eliminate the need for expensive textbooks with a rich online learning experience that costs twenty-five bucks or less. Last year we saved students over $20 million — and we have our sights set on one billion.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values. If you’re a fit, and you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, get in touch.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, 401k matching, and health benefits with a fully paid premium for employees. We are proudly based in downtown Portland, Oregon, but we encourage remote applicants as well, especially in Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. Our company at this time is comprised of roughly 50% distributed employees all from around the country.
Position Summary: Integrations Software Developer
You’ll be part of a small, tightly cohesive engineering team based in Lumen’s downtown Portland office. The team divides management duties and works closely with our product managers to plan tasks and get value out to customers in a smooth cadence. We administer a couple different application stacks, and you’ll be working with front-end, integration/middle-tier, and backend to deliver valuable learning features to our customers. You’ll also work to update our existing codebase to scale for the rapid growth we anticipate as demand for our innovative solutions increases.
You’ll be an essential member of our great engineering team. Your generosity, intelligence, work ethic, and humility will fit in well with the team we’re building. You’ll always be conscious of how your choices affect students and instructors. You’ll love the balance of maintaining existing systems and leading work on next generation learning technology.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Helping our team adopt the latest IMS standards and leverage those standards to improve our offerings to students and faculty.
- Improving the scalability and usability of our applications’ shared payments system.
- Refactoring existing code to include new features and improve development velocity. Architecting new features to integrate with the existing platform.
- Experimenting with new technologies and processes that better enable us to deliver research-inspired learning features to our students and instructors.
- Assisting with the ongoing administration of our cloud-based infrastructure and continuous integration/continuous delivery pipelines.
- Contributing to Lumen’s evolving product development practices, participating in learning and knowledge building as part of a curious and developing team.
You are excited to grow with our team! You recognize we are scaling our existing code base while building new features on our legacy platform, and that inspires your curiosity. You’re excited to dive in to old code as well as to discover opportunities where incorporating new technology will make our learning technology better. You love to work collectively with other engineers and the product team, and recognize that a well-functioning team is greater than the sum of its parts.
- You have done work with IMS’s Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) and keep up with the latest developments for that standard.
- You’re familiar with developing for and deploying to the cloud, especially AWS environments. You’ve worked with Github and CI/CD pipelines.
- You take responsibility for the quality of your code and the code of your teammates. You write test cases and participate in code reviews. In every commit, you work to improve the code base for all of its future developers.
- You enjoy working with legacy codebases, and take pride in squashing bugs, improving performance, and refactoring old code so that new features can be added.
- You are especially excited to work on projects that impact all learners. You love knowing your work makes a difference in the world.
- You want to learn new technologies. You love sharing what you learn. You’re not afraid to experiment, because you know how to scaffold experiments, evaluate their success, and roll back when necessary.
If you have some of these too we’ll be delighted
- Experience with Rails applications
- Experience with PHP and WordPress applications
- Experience with JS/Front-End architectures
- Familiarity with security concepts and development
- Experience designing and developing software as an API