The Dyrt is seeking a talented backend developer with a strong Ruby background to join our team as we solve exciting new problems in the outdoor space. In this role, you’ll be working to evolve and maintain our API, data processing pipelines, and other backend systems.
About The Dyrt
The Dyrt is the fastest-growing camping app with more than 250,000 user generated campground reviews, photos, and videos. We’re successfully changing the way 45+ million Americans search for campgrounds. Through user-generated reviews, The Dyrt is building an ever-expanding database of campgrounds across the country, making it easy and enjoyable for campers to find the information they need.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are great communicators — Effective communication, whether it’s face-to-face, in chat, or in our documentation, is key to how we work. We value patience and empathy in our product planning, support, and day-to-day relations.
- Work well both collaboratively and independently — You’ll be working on a team of 2–3 developers, often each working on different aspects of our products. We come together to pair on tricky problems and architecture, then dive deep on individual tasks.
- Are ready to learn and share knowledge — Everyone comes to our company with their own set of skills and experiences. Cross-training, code review, mentorship, and curiosity all help us build better products.
- 5+ years of backend development experience on production apps
- A strong knowledge of Ruby and familiarity with Rails
- A solid understanding of object-oriented programming and design
- Strong relational database skills — we use PostgreSQL views, triggers, and functions.
- An appreciation for, and abilities to support, your development with appropriate testing
- Familiarity with Elasticsearch
- Experience building ETL pipelines and integrating with third-party APIs
- Knowledge of JSON-API
- Familiarity with DevOps tools and cloud infrastructure management — we deploy on GCP using Kubernetes and Terraform.
This is not a telecommuting position. This is a full-time regular position in our Portland, Oregon, office. All applicants must live in or near Portland, or be willing to relocate.