Energy Storage Systems (ESS) is a fast-growing, clean technology company, located in
Wilsonville, OR. ESS has developed an advanced flow battery technology for
commercial, industrial, and utility applications. With a team that boasts decades of
experience in distributed power generation and energy storage technologies, ESS has
developed an extremely cost-effective energy management system that combines a
safe, abundant and non-toxic iron electrolyte with our patented flow cell design. This
combination of high performance with low cost means that ESS’s technology is ideally
suited for applications that range in size from retail energy management to utility-scale
ESS is seeking a dynamic Mechanical Designer/Drafter with a strong background in 3D
CAD systems, mechanical design, thermodynamics, fluid flow, and structural analysis.
The role will focus on supporting the development of ESS’s advanced battery
technology to ensure product life, cost, and efficiency. The successful candidate will
have excellent project management skills and an ability to manage multiple projects
effortlessly. Candidates with knowledge of large and complex industrial products,
containerized manufacturing & transport are highly desired. Experience in battery, fuel
cell technologies or power generation systems are helpful.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for sustainability and the environment, will thrive
in a fast-paced entrepreneurial setting, be self-motivated and have an interest in
disruptive, cutting edge technology. Someone who understands the culture, the rigor
and the challenges of a start-up environment.
§ Execute updates and redesigns of existing processes and related equipment that
are feasible to manufacture or modify; accompanied by analysis, supporting
information and recommendations.
26440 SW Parkway Ave.
Wilsonville, OR 97070
§ Actively communicate specific work requirements or needs to internal functions,
such as purchasing and manufacturing to ensure expectations are understood as
defined by engineering specifications.
§ Interface with suppliers, manufacturing, sales and marketing in the product
§ Utilize 3-D CAD system, Autodesk Inventor, to prepare detailed drawings of
multiple views and apply mathematics and physics to compute load capacities,
dimensions, material usage and Bills of Materials (BOMs).
§ Prepare prints of parts and assemblies for manufacture using appropriate
tolerance and GD&T practices.
§ Design and build fixtures and tooling to support manufacturing needs.
§ Operate drill press, grinders, engine lathe, or other machines to modify parts
tested or to fabricate experimental parts for testing.
§ Collaborate with mechanical engineers or other personnel to identify, define, or
solve developmental problems.
§ Use inspection and measurement equipment to ensure conformance of incoming
parts and assemblies.
§ Conduct research to test or analyze the design, operation and performance of
§ Ensure engineering design and standards documentation is complete, accurate
and sufficient in support of manufacturing and quality assurance activities, and
compliant with customer specifications and regulations.
§ Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the
efficient and effective functioning of the project team.
§ Interface with and provide product specifications to suppliers.
§ Design electrical and mechanical component assemblies to comply with
§ Document and present designs for team review.
• Associate of Science with a focus on mechanical drafting
• 2 years’ experience as a drafter or mechanical designer
• Proven proficiency in 2-D & 3-D CAD systems (Autodesk Inventor preferred) for
design, documentation, and fabrication.
• Experience with electrical assembly documentation preferred
• Experience with CAD version control systems, Autodesk Vault preferred
• Understanding of a wide variety of manufacturing techniques and an ability to
design parts and assemblies accordingly.
• Experience with designing and building fixtures, tools, machines, and prototypes
• Must have experience with creating drawings of parts and assemblies using
standard tolerance practices and GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
• Experience in packaging assemblies
• Must be a "self-starter" and follow tasks through to completion with little
• Must be able to work in a Team environment to collectively solve problems.
• Must be able to multi-task several projects and prioritize workload to meet
business specific deadlines
• Comfortable in fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
• Experience commercializing new technologies in a production environment is
• Strong communication and presentation skills, affable, and demonstrated
maturity and professionalism
• Able to work in a cross-functional and geographically dispersed team
• Experience interacting with Lab and Engineering operations.
• U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency required.