Working at CrowdStreet
We are a team of 70+ dedicated to transforming the world of commercial real estate (CRE) through technology. Our online Marketplace gives investors unparalleled access to CRE investment opportunities. Founded in 2014, CrowdStreet believes that the markets are stronger when they are more accessible, transparent, and efficient. For everyone.
Our headquarters are in downtown Portland overlooking Pioneer Square, the “living room” of the city. We are proud of our new, modern, and collaborative environment. We offer great benefits including 100% paid medical/dental/vision benefits for employees, 3 weeks paid parental leave, local coffee, and a dog-friendly office. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status under local, state, or federal law.
CrowdStreet is looking for a top-flight VP of Engineering to provide the technical vision for the company’s solutions, lead the engineering team, and own everything technical for the company’s real estate marketplace and subscription software. The VP of Engineering will manage a highly proficient team of developers based in Portland, OR. The VP of Engineering will work closely with CrowdStreet’s CEO and VP of Product to prioritize the product roadmap, make technical decisions that optimize customer needs and achieve rapid growth objectives. The VP of Engineering will bring best practices in agile product development and programming practices to the team and implement automation, tools, and processes that maximize developer productivity. CrowdStreet is looking for a VP of Engineering with experience building online marketplaces and/or consumer-oriented applications that provide the highest level of usability, robustness, performance, scalability, security, and efficiency. The VP of Engineering will report to Tore Steen, CEO, serve on the executive team, have frequent interactions with CrowdStreet’s board of directors and be based in CrowdStreet’s Portland headquarters.
- Lead the engineering team, set work priorities relative to the product roadmap, mentor and train the team, manage daily tactical activities (stand-ups, etc.), implement testing plans and oversee the deployment process.
- Set technical direction for the product (e.g. architecture decisions, code structure, frameworks, tech stack, quality, scalability, performance, security, etc.)
- Collaborate with the VP of Product to develop a viable product roadmap that achieves business objectives, delights customers (external and internal) and evolves the technical infrastructure.
- Establish processes and tools across the team to improve efficiency, speed and code quality.
- Work closely with the developers to discuss technical challenges, find creative solutions to thorny problems and establish high-quality code standards through regular code reviews.
- Recruit, interview and hire developers and engineers, establish recruiting processes and work with internal and external resources to drive successful recruiting results.
- Manage relationships with technical vendors and partners.
- 7+ years of experience leading engineering teams either as a VP/Director Engineering or Senior Engineering Manager responsible for building marketplaces and/or consumer-oriented web applications.
- Experience leading teams, including setting work priorities, making the right technical decisions, coaching and motivating, executing agile development practices, implementing tools, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software development best practices including project planning, design sessions, documentation, source code control, peer code-reviews, scope management, unit testing, defect tracking, release management, agile methodologies, etc.
- Prior experience making technical architecture decisions, providing technical input to the product roadmap, creating resource plans and working with product management to prioritize backlog items.
- Successful track record interviewing, hiring and recruiting strong developers; familiar with setting up and executing efficient and repeatable recruiting processes. Ability to recruit former colleagues a huge plus.
- Be an inspiration for the team by leading by example and being hands on. Experience with multiple programming languages; strong desire to continue to improve skills and learn new technologies. Relevant areas of experience preferred: Java, Python, React, AngularJS, Google Material Design, Twitter Bootstrap, SQL Databases, NoSQL Databases, AWS (NGINX, Elastic Beanstalk, RDS PostgreSQL, Cloudfront), CI/CD Pipelines
- Own the Data Strategy for the organization and be adept at querying data. Proven experience (hands-on and overseeing a team of Data Scientists) with successfully delivered projects leveraging Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and/or Deep Learning techniques required.
- Innate interpersonal skills; collaborative team-first focus, adaptable, comfortable with change.
- The ideal candidate will have experience building complex and secure multi-tenant web-based applications.
- Technical background, BS in Computer Science or Engineering important.
How to apply
Please submit your resume online with a cover letter stating:
1) Why you’re interested in working for CrowdStreet, and
2) A brief summary of how you meet each of our qualifications. The best way to do this is to copy/paste the requirements bullets and put a brief answer after each summarizing your relevant experience.