If you love serving customers and partners, have a strong knowledge of telecom networking, and can quickly envision how to implement network technologies into customer environments, this might be a great role for you. Welcome to Bigleaf – we keep businesses connected to the cloud. Check out more info on our homepage: http://www.bigleaf.net Our service is growing quickly and we’re looking for a Sales Engineer to join our team. Bigleaf is a well-funded fast-growing startup, so your day-to-day tasks will vary quite a bit and morph over time, but here’s an overview:
- Customer and Partner Calls: You will be a key technical resource for our sales team. You’ll typically be on several calls each day, working to qualify customer need and determine if Bigleaf is a fit in the customer environment. You’ll then clearly communicate which of the customer needs that Bigleaf can address, how implementation will go, and address any technical objections or areas of concern. You’ll also work to educate partners on Bigleaf, where we fit best, and how the technology works.
- Technical Documentation: As part of pre-sales engineering work, and post-sales implementation hand-off to our provisioning team, you’ll create network diagrams and other documents for customers, partners, and internal team members. These documents will provide clear visual guides, appropriate for the technical depth of the audience, of Bigleaf implementations, technology, and our network. You’ll also work in concert with our provisioning team for larger projects, ensuring customer expectations that were set during the sales process are met or exceeded during implementation.
- Meetings and Events: While much of your work will be performed out of our Beaverton, Oregon headquarters, you’ll also routinely travel to customer locations for larger opportunities, visit partners for training events, and represent Bigleaf at tradeshows and other industry events.
- Internal Training and Competitive Intelligence: You’ll stay up-to-date on Bigleaf functionality, understanding it deeply by consulting with our network and development teams regularly, and you’ll stay up-to-date on competitive offerings through research and networking with others in the industry. You’ll use this knowledge to perform internal trainings on our solution (such as feature updates), as well as provide strategic technical guidance on market competition.
- Network Troubleshooting and Technical Support: We believe it’s crucial to provide excellent service to our customers, eliminating the typical finger-pointing that happens in IT, through skillful troubleshooting. In this role you’ll occasionally help customers (usually working with their IT consultants or other skilled people) to investigate and resolve issues such as ISP/carrier circuit problems, VoIP call drops, slow downloads, and unexpected firewall behavior. You’ll use tools such as tcpdump, Wireshark, MTR, and iPerf.
- A passion for humbly serving customers and partners
- A thoughtful, consultative communication style
- At least 2 years of experience in a network sales engineering role
- Strong ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical people in written and spoken English. A second language is a plus.
- Excellent understanding of networking fundamentals
- Strong experience with network edge device deployments, such as firewalls and routers
- Self-starter approach to identifying and accomplishing goals
- Natural ability to incrementally troubleshoot technical problems
- Strong understanding of how specific network issues affect application performance (e.g. how does packet loss affect TCP throughput? Or what are the effects of jitter on VoIP?)
- Ability and willingness to travel up to several times per month (including occasional international travel).
This is a very exciting period of growth for our team. We appreciate you taking the time to carefully read through this ad. Our vision is to bring peace into the lives of our customers through advanced technology and excellent service. If you would like to join us in this role please send along a resume and cover letter/email of how you meet the qualifications above and why you’re interested. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a stock options plan. We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and feel it makes our teams stronger, so if you meet the qualifications for this role please feel free to apply.