Lumen Learning is a young, growing company looking for a Customer Success Manager to create long-term, trusting relationships with our customers, resulting in departments, faculty, and students who are extraordinarily successful using Lumen course materials. The Customer Success Manager’s role is to develop new business from existing clients, provide those clients ongoing support, and actively drive and nurture new sales opportunities.
Lumen is doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, learning design informed by data, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. In 2018 we have saved students more than $25 million—we have our sights set on one billion.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, drive, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values to better understand how we embrace openness, commitment, creativity and generosity. If you’re a fit and if you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, get in touch.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, work autonomy, 401k matching, and health benefits. Lumen is proudly based in Portland, Oregon. For this position, you may work in our Portland HQ or you may work remotely from a home office anywhere in the United States of America. Our company at this time is comprised of roughly 50% distributed employees around the country.
As a Customer Success Manager primary responsibilities include developing strong relationships with key institution administrators and faculty, tracking progress, and meeting growth targets for these key accounts. In addition you will provide front-line support to help institutional faculty members and staff select, implement, and use Lumen courseware effectively. You will also play a role in identifying business opportunities among existing customers and nurturing opportunities among contacts who are new to Lumen. In this role, you will liaise with cross-functional internal teams (including Executive Directors, Marketing, Product Development, and course creation departments) to improve the entire customer experience. This position may require occasional travel.
If you are familiar with account management software (CRM), have a flair for collaboration and communication and understand consumer behavior, we’d like to meet you. Ideally, candidates for this role will know how to meet ambitious individual and team-wide targets.
Ultimately, a successful Customer Success Manager should collaborate with our adoption team to achieve targets while keeping our clients satisfied and engaged with our products and services in the long-run.
- Serve as the lead point of contact for all customer account management matters for a designated portfolio of institutions
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting client relationships
- Develop trusted advisor relationships with key accounts, customer stakeholders and executive sponsors
- Clearly communicate the progress of monthly/quarterly initiatives to internal and external stakeholders
- Prepare reports on account status
- Collaborate with adoption team to identify and grow opportunities within territory
- Develop new business with existing clients and/or identify areas of improvement to meet adoption targets
- Develop and implement efficient processes for growing and nurturing new-to-Lumen leads and business opportunities, in conjunction with the Marketing and Executive Director Teams
- Forecast and track key account metrics (e.g. revenue targets and enrollment forecasts)
- Negotiate contracts and close agreements
- Ensure the timely and successful delivery of our solutions according to customer needs and objectives
- Orient, educate, and assist customers when they are setting up or experiencing trouble with Lumen courseware
- Follow up promptly and accurately with customers to resolve issues in accordance with published service level agreements (SLAs) and protocols
- Assist with challenging client requests or issue escalations as needed
- Identify and collaborate with other team members to implement improvements in our systems, processes, products, and communications to improve the customer experience
- Proven account management or other relevant experience
- Track record helping organizations achieve revenue and growth targets via smart strategies around sales, relationship management, and customer care
- Demonstrable ability to communicate, present and influence key stakeholders at all levels of an organization, including executive and C-level
- Solid experience with CRM software (e.g. Salesforce, Pipedrive, or HubSpot)
- Experience delivering client-focused solutions to meet customer needs
- Proven ability to juggle multiple account management projects at a time, while maintaining sharp attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize among competing tasks
- Great people skills: you respect and enjoy working with people and organizations to help them succeed at their objectives
- Excellent time and project management skills. You’re always looking to improve inefficient processes
- Ability to maintain a patient, constructive, helpful demeanor when working with internal and external customers, even during high-volume or high-stress windows
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Natural relationship builder with integrity, reliability and maturity
- Ability to work across multiple platforms and technologies; not intimidated by exploring, working with, and introducing others to new technologies
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation abilities
- Extremely reliable: When you take on a task, you see it through to the best of your ability
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate field of study or equivalent work experience
- Expert at Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps, CRM and help desk support software
This position is part of the Adoption Team and will report to the VP of Partnerships with a dotted line relationship to the VP of Business Development.
The position will have fall and spring revenue targets as well as enrollment and support targets.