At Opal, we believe enterprise software should be beautiful, simple and designed for the job at hand. The Opal platform empowers marketing teams to collaborate within a dedicated environment to plan, visualize and deploy campaigns across all marketing channels, reducing complexity and aligning teams for better marketing results.
Our organization is deeply invested in encouraging a culture that promotes design thinking, collaboration and a passion for excellence. We work together as a team to revolutionize the modern marketing organization.
About the Role
We are seeking an HR Coordinator to join our growing Operations team. Reporting to the HR Manager, this role will primarily focus on benefits administration and providing front-line support for employee benefits needs, while also contributing in areas of recruiting, onboarding/offboarding, performance management, compliance, and more.
This position is a highly visible customer-facing role, meaning you’ll interact with every department and employee in our organization. You should be energized by working with people, helping solve problems on the fly, and creating a delightful employee experience in all of your interactions.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an early career HR professional looking to use their current benefits and administrative skills while advancing generalist HR acumen in a successful technology startup environment.
What you’ll do:
- Process benefits enrollments and changes for existing employees, new hires, and terminations, coordinating with Finance and providers to ensure changes are processed accurately and timely.
- Reconcile benefits statements and work with Payroll and carriers to ensure proper deductions. Resolve discrepancies with carriers, Payroll and the company.
- Coordinate annual benefits open enrollment period. Update and distribute plan documents and required notices. Host employee presentations and drop-in Q&A sessions. Arrange for onsite visits from provider representatives. Process changes within deadlines.
- Strive to ensure employee understanding of benefits programs by creating communications and offering helpful information so that individuals can make informed benefits decisions.
- Process and track leaves of absence, FMLA / OFLA, and unemployment claims in partnership with HR Manager.
- Coordinate onboarding and offboarding processes and documentation, keeping the employee, HR, Payroll, and Manager informed along the way.
- Conduct new hire orientations to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment processes, Opal policies, performance management, and how to engage with HR at Opal.
- Manage the headcount request process and post jobs in ATS and job boards.
- Support hiring managers with recruitment activities, e.g. resume and phone screening, interview coordination, candidate travel and relocation.
- Help to educate hiring managers on how to recruit the best possible candidates. Administer the recruiting ATS. Post and remove jobs. Keep interview guides and hiring workflows updated. Maintain integrity and clarity of processes.
- Support Performance Management activities in partnership with HR Manager.
- Maintain high standards of accuracy and confidentiality of all employee records and information.
- Support compliance with federal, state and local employment laws and regulations. Research and understand evolving best practices for small to mid-sized employers and the software industry. Proactively point out areas of opportunity, propose solutions, and share new learnings.
- Provide HR administrative support, e.g. employment verifications, records management, information and reporting requests.
- Treat employees as valued internal customers and respond promptly to inquiries.
- Use good judgment on when to loop HR Manager into employee matters.
- Assist with special HR initiatives and projects in partnership with the HR Manager.
What you’ll bring:
- 2+ years of professional HR and/or benefits administration experience in an employee-facing role
- Experience administering employee benefits, including health, FSA, and 401(k)
- Experience with HRIS and payroll systems
- Laser focus on the details with an “everything matters” approach to your work
- A cool head to handle multiple, ever-changing tasks. This is a fast-paced environment and you’ll need to be open to change while staying on top of things.
- A friendly and approachable style in your interactions with staff and teammates
- Ability to stay calm and collected when your attention is called in many directions
- Comfort and agility using technology and digital collaboration tools. You’re happy working in G Suite, Slack, Jira, and other internal tools.
- Capacity to seek out, consider, and apply constructive feedback to your work
- Commitment to collaboration and accountability. We work closely in teams, and you are prepared, informed, and ready to go at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Natural alignment with Opal’s Values: Professional, Intentional, Steadfast, Helpful, Creative, Passionate, and Empathetic
Nice to have:
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) credential
- Experience working in BambooHR, JazzHR, PlanSource, or Workable platforms
- Experience working for a software tech company or startup environment
- Experiencing supporting remote employee outside of the United States
- Advanced skills in MS Word and Excel, e.g. mail merges, data analysis, custom templates
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a Human Resources related field. A combination of experience and education is also considered.
Opal employees enjoy a range of benefits, some of which include:
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Company paid individual benefits, including disability and life
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Flexible Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Paid Maternity / Parental Leave
- 401(k) and Roth retirement plans
- Company-sponsored outreach & activity programs
- A beautiful office space with plenty of snacks, Stumptown coffee, and friendly coworkers
Opal is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment. We believe a diverse workplace promotes innovation and enhances decision making. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.