Lumen Learning is a young, growing company looking to add to our adoption team and expand our capacity to support customers at institutions across North America. We are seeking individuals that can take ownership of a region with a balance of success, humility, and collaboration.
We are doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, learning design informed by data, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. In 2018 we have saved students more than $25 million—we have our sights set on one billion.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, drive, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values to better understand how we embrace openness, commitment, creativity and generosity. If you’re a fit and if you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, get in touch.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, work autonomy, 401k matching, and health benefits. Lumen is proudly based in Portland, Oregon. This position is based in your home office and requires a significant amount of travel, > 50%, and a quarterly visit to the company office in Portland, Oregon.
The Executive Director Position
As an Executive Director (ED), you will be responsible for working with institutions across a region to improve access and success for students using Lumen’s open courseware. We measure impact through the number of students using our open courseware, and the improved success of those students. This position influences both of those factors, but fully owns the number of students using the courseware.
Successful implementations require an effective strategy that is owned by institutional leadership, and fully engages and empowers faculty members. The ED works with both institutional leadership and with faculty champions to create and implement programs that use proven best practices, but are customized to support local needs. This requires engaging and contracting institutions, developing programs that will achieve results, and ensuring that the programs achieve impact goals. The Executive Director will own revenue and impact targets for the region.
The ideal candidate will have more than 3 years experience meeting and exceeding specific growth targets in higher education programs or markets. You’ve run your own business or had regional P&L responsibility and understand what it takes to build a business. You must be experienced in collaborating with internal and external teams to deliver high quality, complex human change and technology solutions within planned timeframes. Your communication and collaboration skills are top notch.
- Reports to the COO
- Leads delivery of migration, implementation, and training services in their region but also enlists the support of organizational resources
- Coordinates company executive involvement with customer management
- Works closely with support team to ensure customer satisfaction and problem resolution
- Gathers product issues and enhancement needs from customers and effectively communicates them to Lumen product team
Lead and mentor effective adoption programs that achieve impact goals
- With faculty and institutional leadership, define programs that will support institutional impact goals for student success
- Define and achieve adoption and success goals
- Act as the lead point of contact for all matters specific to customers in your region
- Build and maintain strong, deep customer relationships that reflect Lumen values
- Act as a trusted advisor to institutional leaders, project champions, faculty members, and project team members
- Ensure the timely and successful delivery of our solutions to meet customer needs
- Build capability and connection among institutions in the region to support successful programs create new opportunities for impact
- Proactively assess, clarify, and validate customer needs on an ongoing basis
Achieve company revenue and impact commitments
- Accurately forecast and deliver revenue and impact results on a twice-yearly basis, January through June, and July through December.
- Effectively use Lumen systems, like our CRM, to track account communication and performance metrics
- Proactively lead a strategic account planning process that develops performance objectives, financial targets, and critical milestones for regional customers for a one to three-year period
- Coordinate the involvement of Lumen team members, including support, product, and management, in order to meet account performance objectives and customer expectations
- Contribute to Lumen’s success in achieving the our mission
- Personify Lumen values of Commitment, Creativity, Generosity, Openness
- Make Lumen a more successful, effective and inclusive organization as a result of your presence
- Manage front-line support inquiries, triage requests, and resolve or route them to the right team members to get them resolved.
- Troubleshoot and solve technical problems for customers and the Lumen team. Collaborate with internal contacts, customers, and/or partners to diagnose issues and identify the appropriate support path, priority, and resolution.
- Follow up promptly and accurately with customers to resolve issues in accordance with published service level agreements (SLAs) and protocols; record and document interactions, problems, and resolutions.
- Install, maintain, and troubleshoot around Lumen courseware, learning management systems and other learning technologies, and LTI integration.
- Orient, educate, and assist customers when they are setting up or experiencing trouble with courseware, software, or equipment.
- Process and analyze customer requests, to contribute to overall Lumen team intelligence about our products, customer support and related resources, and how to improve the customer experience.
- Contribute to managing and improving Lumen’s customer support knowledge base, in collaboration with other Lumen colleagues, including updating user documentation and frequently asked questions.
- Identify and implement improvements in customer support systems, processes, and communications to improve the customer experience, in collaboration with other Lumen team members.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume.