Lumen Learning is a young, growing company looking to add a reliable Finance Lead to expand our capacity to analyze everyday financial activities and provide advice and guidance to upper management on future financial plans. We are seeking individuals that can take ownership of financial analysis with a balance of success, humility, and collaboration. The goal is to collaborate with the company’s leaders to support sound business decisions and meet the company’s objectives.
We are doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, learning design informed by data, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. In 2018 we saved students more than $25 million—we have our sights set on one billion.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values to better understand how we embrace openness, commitment, creativity and generosity. If you’re a fit and if you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, please reach out.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, work autonomy, 401k matching, health benefits, and unlimited La Croix with the hint of your choice. Lumen is proudly based in Portland, Oregon. This position is based in the Portland office.
The Position: Finance Lead – Portland Office
As a Finance Lead, you will be responsible for working with the executive team to create a set of financial models that can be used to more effectively and efficiently guide strategic and operational decisions.
This is a key position, reporting directly to the CEO, that will be assisting in our internal financial reporting, internal control, forecasting, budgeting, and monthly, quarterly, annual processes, including managing billing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable processes. This position requires a solid understanding of GAAP.
The ideal candidate will have more than 3 years’ experience as part of a finance team in a rapidly growing start-up or growth company. The candidate will also have excellent problem-solving, analytical and communication skills and genuinely enjoy using data and information to solve business problems and create new opportunities.
- Manage the preparation of the company’s budget, including simulating and evaluating business and financial scenarios.
- Understand the larger business strategy, and manage day-to-day financial details in alignment with the strategy.
- Provide financial reports and analysis for planning with the executive team.
- Analyze costs, pricing, variable contributions, sales results and the company’s actual performance compared to the business plans.
- Interact with auditors to ensure appropriate monitoring of company finances is maintained.
- Actively collaborate with all company departments, discussing company plans, building budgets and increasing financial literacy across the organization.
- Actively participate in funding and investment processes.
- Proven experience financial modeling and accounting
- Experience in the financial sector with previous possible roles such as financial analyst
- Strong proficiency in finance software
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to guide and lead employees to ensure appropriate financial processes are being used
- A solid understanding of accounting principles
- Working knowledge of all statutory legislation and regulations
- BS/MA degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics
- Professional qualification such as CFA/CPA or similar will be considered a plus
- Contribute to Lumen’s success in achieving the our mission
- Personify Lumen values of Commitment, Creativity, Generosity, Openness
- Make Lumen a more successful, effective and inclusive organization as a result of your presence
To apply, send your cover letter and resume.