Lumen Learning is a young, growing company looking to add to our course development team and expand our capacity to support customers at institutions across North America. We are seeking individuals that can take ownership of a set of courses with a balance of success, humility, and collaboration.
We are doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, learning design informed by data, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. In 2018 we have saved students more than $25 million—we have our sights set on one billion.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, drive, teamwork, and immense flexibility. Check out our company values to better understand how we embrace openness, commitment, creativity and generosity. If you’re a fit and if you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, get in touch.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, work autonomy, 401k matching, and health benefits. Lumen is proudly based in Portland, Oregon.
The Course Product Manager Position
As a Course Product Manager, you’ll actively participate in designing, building, evaluating, and continuously improving Lumen’s courseware. You’ll also provide remarkable support to Lumen’s customers to ensure that they are highly successful in adopting and using our courses.
We are choosy about the people we ask to join us—we’re looking for creative and optimistic problem solvers who naturally collaborate, don’t require a lot of direction, and increase the diversity of the team.
While this may change over time depending on evolving courseware needs and priorities, we expect this position to have a strong math focus and so are looking for a math enthusiast to help us create exceptional college level math course materials, closely collaborating with the other math focused members of our team. This position is a member of the Learning Team, reporting to our Director of Learning Engineering.
Using Lumen’s course design process and tools, create and enhance open courseware that consistently supports effective student learning
- Improve existing courses: review licensing, map and align learning outcomes, identify additional resources such as OER interactives; edit course content.
- Develop new courses: adopt and adapt OER (course content, images, assessments, etc.), adding original content where needed. Work with instructional designers and faculty to develop cohesive, well-aligned courses.
- Participate in data-driven iterative improvement to enhance courses based on analytics showing where students struggle.
Lead multi-disciplinary teams of faculty, data scientists, instructional designers, and assessment experts in the course creation and improvement process.
- Successfully manage the timely contributions of faculty and other team members with competing priorities in their real jobs
- Project manage multiple course creation and course improvement projects to successful completion within time and budget
Use our customer service platform to provide amazing support to faculty
- Provide timely responses to all requests and questions, and achieve timely resolution of issues
- Demonstrate empathy, understanding the challenges of faculty and supporting each faculty member to do their best teaching
Train and educate faculty members in the use of open courseware that supports effective teaching and learning
- Contribute to the creation of training materials to educate faculty on using our courseware
- Deliver training materials to faculty, either remotely or via face-to-face workshops
Be an exceptional team member
- Proactively share the skills and knowledge that you’ve gained with other members of the team and encourage others to share their expertise with you, so that the collective team can continue to grow and succeed
- Embody the company values in all interactions with employees, customers, partners, and community members
- Participate in special projects identified by the Lumen team as opportunities to effect change at a single institution, across an entire system, or across the broader educational landscape
- Participate in and facilitate the growth of the Lumen customer community, building meaningful connection points for faculty members who are seeking a peer community
- This position requires occasional travel
- You respect and enjoy working with the people, organizations, and stakeholders unique to the higher education sector.
- You are a hands-on and motivated individual that is capable of working in a fast paced environment to deliver high quality products to our customers.
- You have excellent time management, interpersonal, problem solving, organizational and technical skills.
- You demonstrate initiative, adaptability and manage dependencies and expectations while effectively communicating with all stakeholders.
- You are team-oriented, communicate clearly and effectively, and demonstrate the ability to work well with others in a creative and collaborative environment.
- You bring empathy to your job. You care about how your work and your attitude affect those around you: if you hurt someone, it hurts you. Everything you do runs through this filter.
- You’re an informed champion of the products you support. You’re enthusiastic about using them and understanding how they work inside and out, and you seek to improve them.
- You enjoy communicating with customers. You know it’s essential to listen and understand before being heard. You strive for transparency and communicate with tact. You also know how to adapt your style to different kinds of customers – from those that want to be your best friend, to those that just want the problem solved.
- You’re extremely reliable. Everyone knows that when you take on a task—whether it’s huge and scary or tiny and boring—you’re going to see it through to the best of your ability.
- You like to have fun with your work and with your co-workers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics or Statistics, Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least 3 or more years of related experience in some combination of the following: online learning design, project management, teaching.
- Experience in an academic setting as well as experience managing teams of faculty and professionals.
- Experience managing distributed/remote teams.
- Track record of prioritizing multiple tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to do light coding (e.g. to correct existing questions and author new questions in our online homework platform).
- Ability to process and modify simple graphics as needed.
- Ability to follow web accessibility standards including WCAG and Section 508.
If you have some of these too we’ll be delighted
- Experience teaching at the college level
- Experience building math course materials for use in a college math class
- Strong knowledge of one or more leading learning management systems: Blackboard, Canvas, D2L Brightspace, Moodle
- Experience with the WordPress publishing platform
- Working knowledge of HTML
- Working knowledge of LaTeX
- 401k matching
- Full employee health premium covered by company
- Take the time off you need
- Paid Holidays
- Technology and training allowances
- Work with exceptional people on an important, fulfilling mission
To apply, send your cover letter and resume.