Cloudability is on the leading edge of cloud cost management and optimization. We use the latest technologies to help our customers understand, visualize, and take control of their cloud costs. Building our application requires a deep understanding of our problem domain and a passion for technical challenges. As an engineering manager you will inspire, mentor, and develop a team that helps build the Cloudability platform.
The operations team is in charge of shared engineering resources such as our public cloud infrastructure on AWS, secure access, performance metrics, application logs, and CI/CD pipeline. We spend 50% of our time embedded with engineering teams facilitating the development, scaling, and availability of the Cloudability application. The operations team is currently located in both Portland, OR and Boulder, CO. We have four members and you would be the 5th. All team meetings and communications are remote by nature. We meet as a group two to four times a year so you will do some light travel. We work together in two week sprints. The team participates in shared on-call duties, each of us takes a week of on-call at a time (currently one week on, three off).
As an Engineering Manager on our Operations team, you will lead our operations engineers. You will ensure engineering teams have the tools and know-how they need to support the services they build. You will leverage your strong technical background to contribute in design and architectural discussions - coach first, player second. You will help maintain our shared public cloud infrastructure and support it through on-call rotation. Above all, you will support the career growth of our engineers, and continue to drive change and improvement within our organization.
In a typical week, you will:
- Work with the engineering leadership team to discuss existing projects and set direction for all of engineering
- Run a sprint planning meeting where you prioritize new work and set context for the team
- Host daily standups to discuss project status, new projects, and blocking issues
- Get to know your team members and provide constructive feedback during weekly one on one meetings
- Help us grow our Operations and IT teams by interviewing and hiring new engineers
- You have hands on experience leading an engineering or operations team and facilitating team growth
- You are comfortable leading and managing a distributed team, currently located in both Portland, OR and Boulder, CO
- You set clear goals and expectations for your team. Your goal is to empower your teams to make decisions and one day do your job
- You have experience allocating resources across teams and managing to a budget
- You have built and scaled software on public clouds (Amazon, Azure, or GCP)
- You are ready to teach us everything you have learned and listen to our experiences as well
The Interview Process
- You apply for an open position
- If your application is a good match for the role, you will have a virtual chat with the hiring manager
- You get the opportunity to show us your skills through a short technical assignment. It should not take more than an hour
- If all goes well we will have you come into our office for an in-person interview. You will meet with members of several teams: operations, engineering, product, and support
- We commit to making a decision and following up with an offer or an explanation within a week
- We are happy to work through the process on a timeline that respects your schedule and current employment status
We provide competitive market pay, with a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Company-paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance (Disability and Life insurance included)
- 401(k) + Student Loan Repayment Program
- Wellness + Commuter Benefits (company-paid parking)
- Unlimited PTO
- 12 weeks of paid leave for the primary care giver
- Paid holidays including Boxing Day
- Dog friendly office + weekly yoga + coffee (plenty of tea as well)
Cloudability is Portland-based, cloud optimization platform enabling organizations around the world to succeed technologically and financially in the cloud. Thousands of companies have trusted us to help them track, manage, and optimize their cloud cost. Our mission is to change the way companies leverage the cloud and we want you to be part of that journey.
Cloudability is changing how companies adopt and consume cloud. If defining and creating new market opportunities excites you, this is a company is for you.