If you love caring for customers, have a strong knowledge of telecom networking, and have experiencing leading and growing network and support teams, this might be the role for you.
Welcome to Bigleaf – we keep businesses connected to the cloud. Check out more info on our homepage: http://www.bigleaf.net
Our service is growing quickly and we’re looking for a hands-on VP of Network and Support to join our team.
Bigleaf is a well-funded fast-growing startup, so your day-to-day tasks will vary quite a bit and morph over time, but here’s an overview:
• Tech Support Leadership: We stand out by providing excellent service to our customers, eliminating the typical finger-pointing seen in IT, through skillful troubleshooting and true care for our customers. In this role you’ll create strategic plans and lead our technical support team to maintain success as we grow. You’ll use your years of technical support experience and empathy for customers to ensure that they receive a “great” support experience (rather than just a “good” one) at all times. You’ll also be the main point of contact for escalated support matters. You’ll use your outstanding people skills to ensure customers who are frustrated leave happy, and you’ll ensure all needed Bigleaf and partner resources are engaged to drive problems to a successful conclusion.
• Technical Support: While this role has a notable leadership and management element, initially there will also be a large hands-up support element. You’ll be on the phones and responding to tickets alongside our other support team members. You’ll use your networking knowledge and care for customers to ensure they have an optimal experience as you navigate troubleshooting and resolving their complex technical issues. You’ll carefully balance the time you need to allocate for leadership and management tasks versus the time you have to directly provide support to customers, morphing that balance as needs change with company growth.
• Network Engineering and Operations Leadership: Our customers expect outstanding network reliability and performance. In this role you’ll oversee continued design, operation, and troubleshooting of our global IP routing platform and other network systems. This will involve working with the CEO and other team members to craft and manage network strategy, coordinating network engineering resources, directing incident response, scaling planning, and other similar tasks.
• Sales Engineering: You’ll ensure that the needs of the sales team for engineering resources are met effectively. Sometimes this means you’ll directly interact with our customers and partners as a technical resource on our services and technology, and at other times you’ll arrange for other engineering resources to do so. You will ensure that we act as a consultant to customers and partners, identifying their needs and communicating how Bigleaf can be of value to them. This will usually be via phone, but will involve occasional travel for larger opportunities.
• Team Growth, Management, and Training: Your strong yet humble leadership will shine as you scale and mature our network and support functions. You’ll guide, challenge, encourage, correct, and reward team members, and do other typical management and leadership tasks to ensure the health and success of each person and of the team. You’ll also be responsible for planning, recruitment, hiring, training, and other similar items to ensure the team grows as needed to meet the demands of our growing customer base without excessive stress. You will oversee training activities for your team, as well as for new wholesale partners and others who need in-depth training on the Bigleaf platform and how to support it.
• Support and Network Engineering Tools Management:You’ll be responsible for procuring, managing, and scaling Bigleaf’s systems used for technical support and network engineering. Of course you’ll have the support of other Bigleaf resources in this, such as our software development team, but you’ll handle dashboards, reporting, contact center / phone systems, and other tools needed to ensure our network and support teams are operating in line with company goals.
• Company-wide Collaboration: You’ll work with our product, software development, sales, provisioning, accounting and other internal teams to meet customer needs and help drive healthy growth across all areas of the business.
• At least 5 year of experience leading and scaling a 24/7, multi-tier, service-provider technical support team.
• At least 3 year of experience leading network engineering and operations efforts in a public-facing network such as an internet carrier, CDN, or other service provider.
• Experience and comfort directly providing network related technical support
• Strong ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical people in written and spoken English
• A passion for serving customers in a humble and consultative manner
• Demonstrated care for the professional and personal development of team members
• A team-player mentality
• Self-starter approach to identifying and accomplishing goals
• Understanding of networking and internet fundamentals
• Understanding of how specific network issues affect application performance (e.g. how does packet loss affect TCP throughput? Or what are the effects of jitter on VoIP?)
• Experience training and mentoring others and resolving conflict
• Ability to be on-call for escalation matters
• Ability to travel occasionally (a few times per year)
This is a very exciting period of growth for our team. We appreciate you taking the time to carefully read through this ad. Our vision is to bring peace into the lives of our customers through advanced technology and excellent service. If you would like to join us in this role please send along a resume and cover letter/email of how you meet the qualifications above and why you’re interested. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a stock options plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and feel it makes our teams stronger, so if you meet the qualifications for this role please feel free to apply.
If you would like to join us in one of these roles please send along a resume and cover letter/email of how you meet the qualifications for the role and why you’re interested.